Thursday, May 12, 2005

Women Extraordinaire...

*Belated Mother's Day Greetings to all you supermoms!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A heart that can hear every unspoken need,
Wisdom to know when to quietly lead,
Hands that reach out,always helping and sharing–A mother is caring!
Eyes that reflect every joy that you find,
Arms to encircle,but never to bind
,A talent for making the most out of living–A mother is giving!
A voice that can soothe or inspire or delight,
A smile that keeps shining when things don't go right,
An angel God sends us from Heaven above–
A mother is caring and giving and love!
(from www2.bluemountain.com)
*A Woman Of Independent Means...

How do you spend a lazy saturday?I either watch a good movie or stay in bed with a good book...I went to the mall last weekend, and I chanced upon this book at the
BOOKSALE SHOP...Actually, I was rummaging through the magazines at first, and I didnt
find anything worth my 50 pesos, hence i proceeded to the old books on
sale...
So luckily I came across this dog-eared book, a national bestseller, and a steal for 25 pesos!Image hosted by Photobucket.com
" A Woman Of Independent Means by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey"

The title really got my attention...A very good read... Story of a woman,who is an embodiment of the
"feminists" in us all. What I like about it, is that it does not depict
the "feminist" as a radical woman who has forsaken femininity(or being
ladylike!) to assert gender equality. Rather, it tells the story of a
strong and very capable woman in the early 1900s. The heroine is
partially based on the author's grandmother. Initially she wanted the
title of her book to be "Letters of A Runaway Wife"...When her husband
heard of this, he said: " "Runaway wives are a passing fad. Why don't you
write about somebody who doesn't have to leave home to be liberated? Why
don't you write about somebody like your grandmother?" Hence, the author
delved more on showing the side of domestic feminism, depicting a strong
woman like her grandmother. The novel is filled with letters written by
the formidable heroine, Bess, both personal and business in nature. Each letter
contains wonderful thoughts to ponder upon. On how she evolved from a young girl to a woman past her 80s, thoughts on her day to day relations with her husband, her love for her children and utmost devotion to her grandchildren,her judicious maintenance of their finances, her penchant for travel and the arts...Although at times pushy and would not take no for an answer,Bess had charm and elegance, and her persuasiveness was likened to velvet steamroller ;)
She was not only a woman of independent means but a woman of conviction and unique ideas far ahead of her time...

I loved this novel, because reading her letters reminded me so much of my mother as there was a striking parallelism on their lives (not the affluence though...he3x)

Kudos to all the extraordinary women...Women of Independent Means, Women of Conviction...
Kudos to all Moms!