Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dutch Trivia

I'll take a reprieve from posting pictures for now and I'll just blabber on...

During our homecoming I have confirmed that so little is known of The Netherlands(or of Europe for that matter;too much American TV I should say!) beyond tulips,windmills,and the redlight district. In every get-together, we would get pop questions like: "What is the country's capital" or "How people are called?"..."Hmmm, I'll take an A....beeep!!!!"

And even charming questions which I would not want to share here till I am sure it gets published at "Laughter is the Best Medicine" (then I'd get credit for it)...He3x

So here it goes...

6 Things You May Not Know (But Should Know) About The Netherlands,It's Cities, and People...

1. Amsterdam is the capital of The Netherlands and not The Hague. Also, Holland is only a province of The Netherlands. Referring to the country as Holland is not correct;but tolerated ;)

2. Amsterdam is considered to be "a Diamond Capital" of the world("a" not "the" since Antwerp,Belgium is also claiming this title);where everyday rough diamonds are transformed into exquisite jewels... Visit Gassan Diamonds and the Diamond Musem in Amsterdam for a "dazzling" experience.

3. The people are Dutch;the language spoken is Dutch.

4. Heineken beer is a Dutch beer, not German (a common misconception). Heineken Brewery was established in 1864 by Gerard Adriaan Heineken in Amsterdam.Visit the Heineken Museum in Amsterdam for a glimpse of the Dutch beer making.

5. Royal Philips Electronics also known as Philips, is a Dutch Company.Founded in 1891 by Gerard Philips, a maternal cousin of Karl Marx, in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. It's headquarters is in Amsterdam.

6. A lot of famous painters in history were Dutch. The 17th century, when the Dutch republic was prosperous, was the age of the "Dutch Masters", such as Rembrandt van Rijn, Johannes Vermeer, Jan Steen and many others. Famous Dutch painters of the 19th and 20th century were Vincent van Gogh and Piet Mondriaan.

And yes, there are fruits in The Netherlands! (Di nyo gets no?)

This is all folks!