"Le Trio"
As a Mother's Day present for Mama, Rey and I decided to surprise her with a trip to Paris. Fortunately, we had a long weekend just right after Mother's day as May 17 (Ascension Day), is declared a Roman Catholic Holiday in The Netherlands, and the 18th was also a "collective" holiday for our company.We took the Thalys international train to Paris from Amsterdam. Thalys is a high-speed train network built around the high-speed line between Paris and Brussels. With mine and Mama's wide-eyed excitement to see the city of light (this is Rey's second time to visit Paris), the 4-hour train ride went by like a breeze ;) Indeed nothing beats travelling around Europe by train, absorbing the changing landscapes while you go cross-country and appreciating the uniqueness of each city along the way.
"backpackin' Europe"
We arrived at Gare Du Nord at around 11pm, took the bus to our hotel (though just a 10-minute walk from the station) and slept like babies, excited to start the next day early. At 7:30am, we had already finished our breakfast and were headed out to start exploring the city. Toting our travel essentials: a Paris Map, our METRO daypasses and a Lonely Planet phrase book, we were a picture of confident tourists :)
SACRE COEUR
"Basilica of Sacre Coeur"
Our first stop was at the Basilica of Sacre Coeur (Sacred Heart). Settled imposingly at the highest point of the city, on top of the hills of Montmarte, this Romanesque and Byzantine architecture ( in contrast with the gothic style of medieval churches in thecity such as the Notre Dame ) is an important landmark in Paris. It was built in 1876 and consecrated in 1919. To reach the church, one has to ascend the numerous steps of the hill. But once at the summit, you will know your efforts are well worth it, as you look down upon the fabulous view of the city below. And of course, once inside the church (no photos!), you will feel spiritually rewarded as well. The basilica's interior designs are simply unforgettable, especially the golden mosaic of the Sacred Heart on the altar wall, and the rest of the beautiful and ornate religious art pieces that adorn this ancient place of prayer.
Parisian Panorama (Mama: Haay, I made it... unbelievable!)
PLACE DU TERTRE
Just a few steps away from Sacre Coeur, we visited Rey's favorite not-the-usual Paris tourist spot: the quaint "artist's square" in the heart of Montmarte. This village is a reminder of the old times when a painter lived only for his craft; his easel and brush brought home the bacon. Many renowned artists have lived and worked here, and a lot of them also chose to be buried in the village cemetery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimetière_de_Montmartre
Back at his favorite Parisian spot
"Reluctant model" (Mommy: Sit still!)
"master and his muse"
Be careful not to engage in a too-long tete-a-tete with these artists lest you want your portrait made :) It's really amazing how they can complete an artwork with uncanny likeness just within 5 minutes or so. Real talent.
We waited a bit till the shops opened while having a sip of our first parisian cafe, and of course, only "real" french croissants go with the coffee, hehehe... Afterwards, we toured the place a little bit more, and bought the requisite souvenirs before finally leaving. On to our next destination.Be careful not to engage in a too-long tete-a-tete with these artists lest you want your portrait made :) It's really amazing how they can complete an artwork with uncanny likeness just within 5 minutes or so. Real talent.
More info here.
Champs-Élysées
This vast area was originally a swamp land until 1616, when Marie de Medici decided to extend the garden axis of the Palais des Tuileries with an avenue of trees. It now prides itself to be Paris' most prestigious and widest avenue. It comes just after New York's Fifth Avenue, as the world's 2nd most expensive shopping strip.
"The French are glad to die for love.
They delight in fighting duels.
But I prefer a man who lives
And gives expensive jewels"
They delight in fighting duels.
But I prefer a man who lives
And gives expensive jewels"

We were wondering why so many tourists flocked at Cartier's shop window(behind Mama). I hurried thinking that perhaps a celebrity, royalty or some dignitary is doing some bling-shopping... only to find out that the furor was over the price of the Cartier timepieces on display (28,000++ euros for a watch!)
Fashion Trivia: "The arrival of global chain stores in recent years has slightly changed the character of the avenue, and in a first effort to stem these changes, the Paris City government decided in 2007 to ban the giant Swedish clothing chain H&M from opening a store on the avenue." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_elysees)
ARC DE TRIOMPHE
Triumphant and Proud
At the western end of the Champs Elysees, at the top of the Chaillot Hill, is the large Place de Gaulle. Standing at its center is the colossal monument, the Arc of Triumph. This magnificent structure built in 1806(completed in 1836) under Napoleon, was a memorial to the Great French Army. It stands over 51 meters (165 ft) in height and is 45 meters wide and is the second largest triumphal arch in existence.
"Tomb of the Unknown Soldier"
Placed in 1920, this eternal flame for the unknown hero is tended every evening
Placed in 1920, this eternal flame for the unknown hero is tended every evening
More info here.
After lunch at the Elysees, we were off to Paris' tallest structure, its global landmark: Eiffel Tower
LA TOUR EIFFEL
I felt so small (not literally!) standing beneath this 7,300 tons marvelous architecture. It's
astonishing to finally see this breathtaking "piece" of structural art.
CHAMPS de MARS

Stop and smell the roses
We spent a leisurely afternoon just admiring the view of Eiffel at Champs de Mars, a military field at one time, but now transformed into a garden. We basked under the sun (well me and Rey at least), lying on the grass with our glace à la vanille and just rested after a long morning...Then, on to our final stop:
Musée du Louvre
The history of this most visited and most famous art gallery and culture museum in the world, dates back to the 13th century , when Philippe Auguste had a fortress built near the river. It is famous for holding several of the world's most prestigious works of art, such as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, The Virgin and Child with St. Anne, Madonna of the Rocks, and Alexandros of Antioch's Venus de Milo.
The Louvre Pyramid is a large glass pyramid commissioned by then French president François Mitterrand. This bold project was designed by an American architect of Chinese descent, Ieoh Ming Pei, and was inaugurated in 1989. This was the first renovation of the Grand Louvre Project. The pyramid covers the Louvre entresol and forms part of the new entrance into the museum. Recently, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of visitors to this famous museum. I guess, the Louvre has Dan Brown to thank for this.
Need I say more? More info here.
After the tour, we decided to have dinner at the Carousel du Louvre's Restaurant, as it was already about to rain outside. Of course, we did not want to go out in the rain and look for another restaurant. French food and soaking wet do not go so well together :-). Also, we were already quite tired from all the sightseeing and craved the much needed rest and nourishment.
There is just so much to see in this city of astounding historical heritage. Thanks to the very efficient PARIS Metro, we saw most of the city sans the hassle. Our self-guided tour was very productive; we saw what we wanted to see first and had enough time to take it all in, probably skipping shopping does the trick ;).
No wonder a lot of people who come to Paris just fall in love with the city. It is truly one special place. As for me, the spell was cast. I will definitely come back to see more of it.
I Love Paris
Nat King Cole
Every time I look down on this timeless town
whether blue or gray be her skies.
Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,
more and more do I realize:
I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.
I love Paris every moment,
every moment of the year.
I love Paris, why, oh why do I love Paris?
Because my love is near.
Nat King Cole
Every time I look down on this timeless town
whether blue or gray be her skies.
Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,
more and more do I realize:
I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.
I love Paris every moment,
every moment of the year.
I love Paris, why, oh why do I love Paris?
Because my love is near.
Till next time...






























