With Lola Eva (My favorite picture!)
Hearing the Sad News
Early this morning our phone rang while I was still mid-way thru dreamland. Rey and I were both so sleepy that neither of us got up to answer. After a few minutes it rang again, and already half-conscious, I fumbled my way through the phone. But my heart was already pounding since I always have this bad feeling every time I get text messages or phone calls in the wee hours. Usually when these happens, sad news awaits me.
My eldest brother, Eric, asked me if I already heard the news or if I already read my cellphone's messages. And I told him no, since I just woke up. And so in an effort to make it light for me, he said "Lola stopped breathing today". I don't know if it was because I was still groggy or in a state of disbelief, I asked him, "Patay na si Lola???".And his good humored reply was: "Te huo, kay wala na gaginhawa. Kasubo pero teh amo gid na".
Then there's that lull, your brain got the message but it did not really sink in yet. We said our goodbyes and told him that I'd call again. Then the heart responded,and I cried like a child...The sad thing about having lost someone before, is that every time another dearly beloved departs, the pain is double. I mourned for my dear Lola, and then it seems that I go through that pain again, when we lost Papa...
But on the bright side, now they can form their choir in heaven. Lola vibrantly leading the group, Papa and Tito Nonoy on vocals, and Lolo quietly cheering them while he sits on his chair playing solitaire :)
The Tide Went Out Easily
Seldom, except in movies, do the dying depart with such serenity and peaceful countenance. After I regained my composure(I thought so!) I called my brother, Erwin, in Bacolod. He recounted to me the story of how the ,"tide went out easily" for Lola. Our cousin Sunshine had called him to come over, after she checked that Lola was not moving. She said after breakfast, she bathed Lola and got her ready for her morning nap, not knowing that she has prepared her for that "long sleep". Erwin jokingly(Segovia humor!) told me that he came right away, on 2 horse-power since he had to do the 1-2-1-2 , as trusty ol' Sigma broke down on him again. He said that Lola looked as if she was just napping. Indeed, seldom does the end come as natural and simple as sleep...Mama said, that Lola was blessed with such a peaceful departure, being Mother Mary's zealous devotee...
Days of our Lives
For our family, it seems that when someone departs, it is always on a significant date. "Daw ga sinugatay", as we call it. As you see Lola passed away the day after Lolo's birthday(Aug. 26). So now on Lolo's birthday, which the whole family still celebrates, we will also remember Lola's passing. Just like how we used to celebrate Lola's birthday(Sept. 29), and also remember Papa and Tito Nonoy, who both died the same day(though 5 years apart) , a day before Lola's birthday...
So I'd like to believe that for Lola it was her beloved Warding who fetched her, and for Tito Nonoy, Papa(he was first!) wanted to show the way...and for Lolo, he was always known for his good sense of direction(he won't miss the pearly gates!), so he chose to travel alone on June 19...
Remembering Eva
Lola,
You are life, you are laughter
You’re bamboo, balls and character…
You’re the SPAM, the corned beef and the cheese…
You’re the delight of your children to tease…
You’re Obsession, you’re jewelry (Inday is this genuine?)
You’re the merriment, you’re revelry
You’re Rosa Mia, you’re Imelda…
You’re Livin’ Lavida Eva!
You are life, you are love
Angels watch you from above
You are special, you are you
You are Eva, to thy name you're true…
(-Bebsy, Sept, 29, 2005, Lola's 93rd Birthday)
You are life, you are laughter
You’re bamboo, balls and character…
You’re the SPAM, the corned beef and the cheese…
You’re the delight of your children to tease…
You’re Obsession, you’re jewelry (Inday is this genuine?)
You’re the merriment, you’re revelry
You’re Rosa Mia, you’re Imelda…
You’re Livin’ Lavida Eva!
You are life, you are love
Angels watch you from above
You are special, you are you
You are Eva, to thy name you're true…
(-Bebsy, Sept, 29, 2005, Lola's 93rd Birthday)
Everyone dear to Lola would always have a sweet anecdote about this fascinating woman; about her strength and generous nature. How emotional and yet how funny; how feisty and yet how sweet. We used to call her Rosamia, as she has this adorable crying jag every time she calls from the US.Usually during family reunions, she would call, and everyone who was summoned to the phone to talk to the great Eva, would then tell the next-in-line, "Ah te si Mama, ga Rosamia na naman na"...
More than a decade ago, she and Lolo spent a couple of their homecomings at our home, to spend more time with their sick Nene. I got to sample her secret "Alimusan" recipe and her "kalo2x with kalkag"...And of course had a load of her temper, "Ay abaw Lynda, ang bata mo ni daw si kumo2x"...He3x, I never folded my clothes properly! I've improved Lola :)
There are a lot of things I admire about Lola... Other than her generosity is her strength of character. You can never put her in a corner; somehow she always shines! It must be the hair Lola! :)
And then of course her resilience. She's been through a lot...Lost 2 sons, grandchildren, and just a few years back lost the love of her life. It takes strength to overcome adversities...BUT it takes both strength AND courage to come out of it seemingly unscathed; to go on with life despite that abysmal pain, without casting a shadow of melancholy on your life and those around it. Of course she was sad, she cries every now and then, but yet she went on with life scarred but beautiful :) She still made us laugh till our sides hurt. And she can still smack you, if you misbehaved!Ha3x. She was never engulfed in sorrow, she still loved life! But her zest for life, waned a little when she lost her beloved Warding...After all, he was her first love :)
Bright!!!
I took a leave from work today. I think I need to spend some quiet time of remembering. Death is inevitable, and at 95 it seems that it may come at any time. And when it came for her, she drew her last in tranquility.I do not mourn her passing to a "better place", as she has lived a marvelous life, but I am saddened with the thought of not seeing her again. I have not seen her in quite a while, but when the reality of not seeing her forever finally sinks in, it is tear-jerking...(These pictures were taken just last August 18, when they celebrated in advance her birthday...Premonition?)
with her children: Tito Donald, Tito Allan, Tita Mildred (Eva Junior!) and Tito Dadit
(not in picture Tita Astrid, TitoNito and Tito Dennis) *picture from one of my cousins' Friendster account
(not in picture Tita Astrid, TitoNito and Tito Dennis) *picture from one of my cousins' Friendster account
Lola, may your soul rest in peace. I know you have your Warding, Nonoy and Nene waiting for you at the pearly gates...I will miss you with all my heart.
-Bebsy











