Thursday, April 09, 2009

Spring Is Finally Here

The last winter dragged on for what seemed like an eternity. Within our 3 years here, it was the first "real" Dutch winter we experienced: arctic temperatures(-18degC!!!), lakes,rivers, canals froze over and the Dutch went crazy with ice skating on these frozen waters...

But well finally the long cold spell is over, and according to my little friend below, spring may be finally here :) Yipppeee!!!

This ladybug sure knew how to pose for me :)
And, I found just the perfect catchphrase for this serendipitous shot

(Rey: "Serendipitous...Sus gintulod mo lang gid na ang ladybug asta sa punta pru!"


One of the most popular symbols to herald the arrival of springtime is the adorable dotted,
miniature dome of a ladybug strolling along a plant stem looking for its next meal.



"Spring is here attitudes change
Grass so green flowers coming out..."

What spring means

Spring means... we can now be outside without having to wear various layers of clothing. "Wintercheck: Hmmm,thermal tights?Check.Jeans?Check.Thermal fitted longsleeves undershirt?Check.Wool or Cashmere Turtleneck or pullover?Check.Winterjacket?Check.Scarf?Check.Bonnet?Check.Gloves?Check.Wool socks?Winter Shoes?Check." ---> Before I even go out the door, I am already exhausted putting on those :)
But come springtime, you can now stash away your wools,cashmere and knits, and can finally wear cotton. Ohhh heavenly breathable cotton :) ... In extremely cold temperatures, no matter how many layers of clothing you put on, if it's cotton, you will still shiver. It does not have the same heat-retention quality as wools do. Wool fabrics have a greater bulk than other textiles and retain air, which causes the product to retain heat. Wearing only one layer of woolen socks should be warm enough, versus 3 layers of cotton ones.

Our first spring event, wedding of Gary and MJ



Spring means...longer daylight. DST begins. Imagine this: on the average,during winter months the sun rises at 9AM and sets at 4:30pm. So it's only 7hours of daylight... well, if you get lucky that the skies are not gray :)

Spring means...more sunshine! Back then, I never really fully understood the "big deal" of a sunny day. Coming from a country with tropical climate, when we first got here (it was spring of 2006) we still could not relate to the elation of the people around us when a forecast of a clear sunny day is expected. I have never expected to hear such sentence: "This Friday will be sunny, did you know that? It's no weather to work..."
But after a year or so of the "Dutch Drizzle" (rain is spread pretty evenly over the year), you begin to understand why :) You will "pine for the sunshine!" (wow, that rhymed!) Believe me!


A sunny day in The Hague


"a wild crocus flower"

Did you know that... the season of Spring, when Easter occurs, is when the crocus flower, which is lavender and yellow, blooms in Europe, thus making them the official colors to symbolize the holy day of Easter in the Christian religion. Holy Hues :)


crocus carpet

Yes, I am looking forward to a beautiful spring time...Tulips in full bloom;daffodils and wild flowers everywhere :) But, it should also be worth noting that the winter is really not that bad, if you know how to cope with it. Cold, yes. Gloomy, hell yes! But not really a reason (nor the season!) to be "depressed" as some people have exaggerated. I may be waiting for spring, but I do not whine when it's winter :) It's not my favorite season, but I can live with it...for 3 months!Ha3x (Okay,okay, I complain a wee bit,he3x.)

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. ~Anne Bradstreet"