Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year...and also my busiest. Well not this year, not my busiest I mean...We decided to spend our Christmas here, so we get more "rooted" to this country...Or perhaps, the ultra-stressful Amsterdam-Manila flight we had last Dec '05 led us to rethinking...Naah, main reason really is that we want to experience what Christmas is like in this side of the globe...
I think everyone would agree with me in saying that Philippines has the "longest" Christmas season...As soon as the "-ber" months start, the town would be aglow; and more and more illuminated as the 25th approaches. Malls would already play Christmas carols to get you in the mood (for holiday shopping?) Most homes would officially bring out their Christmas trees and trinkets and adorn their houses with 1000 watt-lights (he3x) after the All Soul's Day, and that's more than a month before Christmas :) And yeah, it ends not on the 25th but even reaches the Three Kings celeb, or for others till Valentines Day!...Oh I just love Christmases in the Philippines...at home...
I think everyone would agree with me in saying that Philippines has the "longest" Christmas season...As soon as the "-ber" months start, the town would be aglow; and more and more illuminated as the 25th approaches. Malls would already play Christmas carols to get you in the mood (for holiday shopping?) Most homes would officially bring out their Christmas trees and trinkets and adorn their houses with 1000 watt-lights (he3x) after the All Soul's Day, and that's more than a month before Christmas :) And yeah, it ends not on the 25th but even reaches the Three Kings celeb, or for others till Valentines Day!...Oh I just love Christmases in the Philippines...at home...
5 THINGS I MISS MOST ABOUT CHRISTMAS IN NEGROS
1. The big family get-togethers. Our families!
- The wide-eyed anticipation of my nephews over their presents,hearing mass with the entire family,family dinners, family pictures, and a lot lot more...
2. Misa de Gallo
- I remember I used to join my mother in this early pre-dawn mass...I would go to school with a very bad headache and eyes with circles as dark as charcoal...really! But well, the morning "bingkas" made it all worthwhile :)
3. Related to item #1, the almost daily Christmas parties and family reunions :)
4. Christmas air- I swear I can only smell this at home...
5. The Carolers- the neighborhood kids with their adlib(pun intended!) for stingy peeps :" Thank you,thank you ang babagit ninyo!"
Christmas is also a very big celebration here. Maybe not as big as in the Philippines, but Christmas is also a major holiday for them, in fact I think they are the only country which even has a "Second Christmas Day", on the 26th. It is an official holiday, and usually devoted to "celebrating" Christmas with the extended family...
- The wide-eyed anticipation of my nephews over their presents,hearing mass with the entire family,family dinners, family pictures, and a lot lot more...
2. Misa de Gallo
- I remember I used to join my mother in this early pre-dawn mass...I would go to school with a very bad headache and eyes with circles as dark as charcoal...really! But well, the morning "bingkas" made it all worthwhile :)
3. Related to item #1, the almost daily Christmas parties and family reunions :)
4. Christmas air- I swear I can only smell this at home...
5. The Carolers- the neighborhood kids with their adlib(pun intended!) for stingy peeps :" Thank you,thank you ang babagit ninyo!"
Christmas is also a very big celebration here. Maybe not as big as in the Philippines, but Christmas is also a major holiday for them, in fact I think they are the only country which even has a "Second Christmas Day", on the 26th. It is an official holiday, and usually devoted to "celebrating" Christmas with the extended family...
3 Things worthy of emulation from the Netherlands "Kerstmis" season
1. Sinterklaas or Saint Nicholas-
In the Netherlands, Saint Nicholas' Eve, (December 5) is the official time for gift-giving. The evening is called pakjesavond ("evening of packages"). Saint Nicholas, is really depicted to the children as the saint that he is, and is even clad in bishop's clothing (the red suit worn by bishops, hence when "this concept" was picked up by the other countries and made into Santa Claus the red suit remains, but for universality, he is not a bishop but a chubby huggable old man whom every kid adores :) Each town would have their own version of Sinterklaas' arrival from Spain via a steamboat or a white horse.
Moreso, during this exchange of gifts, ingenuity is required. You can't just randomly buy a pre-wrapped gift set from the store. It must be something that has to do with the person;his hobbies or interests and must be wrapped creatively,really! Whoever said that Dutch were not people-person? I disagree :)
Our "S" shaped marzipan with almonds...Traditional Sinterklaas treat...
2. Focus on humility;emphasis on the Christmas story (same with the Philippines!)
Churches hold a christmas affair where the Christmas story is being re-enacted. In our church here, this is being presented for the children,by the children. It's really so adorable to see the little ones trying so hard to put on a great show.
Also, here the children do not associate Christmas so much with myriads of gifts under the tree. Good huh? :)
3. Second Christmas Day!
When you are sure that the 26th is really a holiday and not wait and see if the President decrees so :) More time with the family :)
Images of our first "Kerstmis"
"Zwaarte Kerstmis tree, no one to buy you give yourself to me..."
Posing for posterity :)
Oh Santa baby,hurry down the chimney tonight ...

"Nagluto ang ate ng manok na tinola...he3x"
Our simple noche buena :)

PRETTIGE FEESTDAGEN!





