Sunday, December 30, 2007

Kerstmarkt in Brussels

Photobucket
Grote Markt, Brussels


Last Saturday (22nd) we took the intercity NS train from Holland to Belgium, to get a glimpse of the annual "Kerstmarkt" in Brussels. Last 2006, we also visited Dusseldorf, Germany, to see the more popular Weihnachtsmarkt. This Christmas market tradition which originated in Germany(Dresden),is now held throughout many cities in Europe, even in America. Though for a Filipino, nothing beats the misa de gallos (dawn masses) and the bibingkas. Well for me, that is! Everything is relative peeps!


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Where To Stay

If you are a first-time tourist, it is quite convenient that you book a hotel near the Grand Place or Grote Markt, since most of the stalls for the Brussels Kerstmarkt are located in this old square. We stayed at Hotel Ibis Grand 'Place, which was on a perfect location for us. It was a walking distance from the Central Station, and right in front of the Grote Markt.

Kerstmarkt

The Christmas market in Brussels, though not as big as in Germany, is also interesting. Merchants selling novelty Christmas items and delicacies such as waffles and of course the traditional German Glühwein (hotwine), artisans and musicians fill-up the old square rendering the city a festive mood.

Photobucket
"Band of Brothers"

At the Grote Markt, a big Christmas tree is usually decorated and lit. Our visit was timely, since it was the night of the "Electrabel Nights", a laser lights' show sponsored by Electrabel (electric company). The Grand Place is illuminated, and people are treated to a wonderful display of light "dancing" and wonderful music.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The illuminated Grand Place

Photobucket


Another good timing, is meeting up with good old friend from college(Group Cute!), Donna (she works for Nokia UK),and her husband Zach.They are to spend the holidays with her aunts in the Netherlands , but first took a side trip to Brussels to see this Christmas market as well. We have talked of a get-together at Netherlands, but haven't really finalized the schedules. So it was splendid that we were all at Brussels that same day :) Had dinner at one of the restaurants in Galeries Royales St. Huberts to end the night.

Photobucket
Waiting for our German Glühwein and "Belgian" Waffles (though here,you just call it waffles)

Photobucket



Photobucket
Restaurants serving seafood mostly

Photobucket
Donna: "Elanie love, ka bloody damu ka pasayan nila no?"


Photobucket
Me: "Pasayan, anyone?"

:)

Sight Seeing

Photobucket
At the famous and "humongous" (he3x, daw munggo guro!) Brussels landmark,Manneken Pis, aka "Peepee Boy"

Funny thing was, it escaped me at first, that Brussels was on the French part of Belgium. I even gave Donna, Dutch words she might need upon arrival. (I am used to Antwerp, wherein my Goede Morgens and Alstubliefts were sufficient in getting around the city). Good thing during packing I remembered I needed my "Bonjour" and "Parlez-vous Anglais?" to be able to "Est-ce que c'est le bon train" in Brussels. He3x. Lonely Planet Phrase books to the rescue! (I brought the French and the Dutch, just to be sure.)
SO, apparently, they also share the French appetite for "Escargots"(snails!). Just in front of Little Wee2x Boy, was a stall selling this popular French cuisine...


Photobucket
Rey: "Hmm, Escargot, let me see.."


Photobucket
Rey: "Escargot2x, wala data a, mas namit ang golden kuhol eh!"
Blonde Lady: "You people don't have taste...Isa gani ka atado tiyoy..."


Photobucket
"Belgian Lace" and a martial artist old lady...Gapaniko kag ga...Panapi!

Photobucket

Seriously, the mannequin somehow, always has this "move-away" stance...So unlike the friendly old man below :)


Photobucket


Souvenirs

For some, it may be quite funny, but I have started this collection of "hard-to-find" jazz/classic albums, which I buy from every city I visit. Like for the song "La Vie En Rose", I searched for the original French version of Edith Piaf, and bought one from Paris :) I think I have all the versions of this song (hey, I even have Buddy Clark's!).

Anyway, at Brussels, Rey saw this store of old LP's, and of course being an audiophile that he is, got excited in finding a real collector's item. And..HE DID! 4 jewels!



Photobucket
The album that started it all...
"The first Bossa Nova single was perhaps the most successful of all time: The Getz/Gilberto recording "The Girl From Ipanema" edited to include only the singing of Astrud Gilberto (Gilberto's then-wife). The resulting fad was not unlike the disco craze of the 1970s. The genre would withstand substantial "watering down" by popular artists throughout the next four decades." (www.wikipedia.org)

Photobucket
A Verve Collectible

Upon reaching home; as soon as the backpacks were put down, these LPs found their rightful place on our turntable :)

Photobucket
"jewels not only worth collecting, but enjoyed as well" ;)

This Brazilian music genre, the Bossa Nova, has always been a favorite, ever since I heard "The Girl from Ipanema", and the "Waters of March" song for an Ayala commercial. Special thanks to "Nonoy" Rigs, for lending me some of his CDs before, which furthered the penchant. Bossa Nova has acquired a large following, even in the Philippines (i.e. Sitti Navarro). Though personally, I believe that the charm of the music (carefree,speech-like singing) is innate to the Brazilian culture and it's language, intertwined with their melodious way of speaking English, the intonation and the syllabication. So Astrud Gilberto,João Gilberto& Antonio Carlos Jobim , don't have to try to sound bossa nova-y, they just do. After all, it's their music. In the same way, that the Kundiman is ours.I am straying from the main topic again...I should devote a separate post for this :)


Photobucket
And naturally, we didn't forget the Godiva

Photobucket
Our loot, Truffles from Godiva and Irish Whiskey from Donna and Zach


It was a fun experience all in all, though we had quite the scare at first, when I heard the news at our hotel room, that Brussels was on high security alert that day for a possible uprising or even terrorist threats. Talking about another, perfect timing! He3x. But perhaps due to the Christmas spirit, they postponed the plan :) Good!

A belated Christmas greeting everyone!